Thursday, October 18, 2012

New Dessert!

So our CSA (Community Shared Agriculture) weekly box has been bountiful with apples.  All different kinds.  Needless to say some are those that just don't make for good eating off the counter though. 

I found a new and easy and fun recipe.  Fruit Filled Oatmeal Bars!  My kids called them Apple Pie Bars as they tasted like apple pie sort of.  This only took me a few minutes to whip up and it didn't make so many we couldn't eat them and they travel well.  I have to say I found this in just one of Better Homes and Gardens books as I now have 4 of them.  Yes, 4!  You would think they are the same but each edition has new and different recipes so I've collected 4 of these books over the past couple years.

So bars...

1 cup flour
1 cup oats (I used old fashioned)
2/3 cup brown sugar (I used white)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2-3 medium apples
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1-2 dash cloves
water

Peal, core and chop apples.  Place is small saucepot with cinnamon, cloves and 2 tablespoons water over medium heat with cover.  Stir often for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile combine flour, oats, sugar, and baking soda.  Cut in butter until it resembles course crumbs.  Place half of  crumb mix in 9x9 or 8x8 pan and press to form crust.  Pour in apple filling.  Top with remaining crumb mix and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until browned on top.  Cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment